370 (per year)
The Darlington Upgrade Project was an important stage in the delivery of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor, delivering a 3.3km upgrade of Main South Road, including:
- A non-stop motorway between the Southern Expressway and north of Tonsley Boulevard.
- A non-stop motorway passing underneath Flinders Drive, Sturt Road, Sutton Road/Mimosa Terrace, Ayliffes Road bridge and Tonsley Boulevard.
- Grade separation of the Main South Road/Ayliffes Road/Shepherds Hill Road intersection.
- Main South Road (at grade) surface roads along both sides of the lowered motorway to provide connections to Flinders Drive, Sturt Road, Tonsely Boulevard and most local roads.
- Full free flow interchange at the Southern Expressway/Main South Road with dedicated ramps providing direct access to, and from, the new motorway and Main South Road.
- A two-lane overpass for northbound traffic travelling east on to Ayliffes Road.
The $754.5 million project was funded by the Australian and South Australian Governments, and opened to traffic mid-2020.
The lead contractors for this project were: Laing O'Rourke and Fulton Hogan.
Mid 2020 (open to traffic)