The project involves upgrading the intersection of Main North Road and Nottage Terrace, which has on average 66,750 vehicles travel through it each day.
The upgrade will improve safety and traffic flow at this key intersection.
The existing single right-turn lane from Main North Road into Nottage Terrace causes problems due to the inadequate capacity, resulting in long delays for peak traffic, including disruptions to vehicles heading north on Main North Road through the intersection.
The intersection upgrade will include the following treatments:
- The widening of Main North Road (west side), with installation of dual right-turn lanes onto Nottage Terrace travelling eastbound.
- Two through-lanes on Main North Road travelling northbound and the addition of a priority bus lane through the intersection travelling northbound.
- Widening Main North Road (east side) to accommodate the left-turn lane onto Nottage Terrace travelling eastbound and the extension of the bus priority lane at the intersection travelling southbound.
- Widening Nottage Terrace (south side) to accommodate the extension of the right-turn lanes travelling northbound from Nottage Terrace onto Main North Road.
- Upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection, including new pedestrian crossing lights and ramp.
- Extending the existing northbound bicycle lane on Main North Road through the intersection, while also upgrading traffic signals, road lighting, line marking and drainage.
The upgraded intersection is expected to be open to traffic in December 2021.
South Australian company Bardavcol has been awarded the major works contract to carry out these works.
The project is jointly funded (50:50) by the Australian and South Australian governments.